Saturday, May 2, 2009

Umlungu...

Friday was such a busy day. Sphe, Ben, Cameron and I (all respite unit staff/volunteers) went to Molweni on a few different missions. We had to do a few new patient home visits and then we also had to check in with some old patients. The last visit of the day was to do a new patient visit and do an HIV test on a woman who requested it. When we arrived, two little boys (about 2 years old) ran up to me with their arms outstretched. Many times, especially in Lower Molweni, which is more remote, children are nervous or shy around white faces. These two little boys surprised me with their willingness to give big hugs. I, of course, picked them both up and loved every minute of my time with them. After a while, I was taking some pictures and chatting with their family members. I always carry sweets (big shocker I’m sure for anyone who knows me well) for the kids. I gave them each one. The first little guy said “Ngiyabonga” which means thank you in Zulu. The second little guy looked me right in the eyes and said “Ngiyabonga Umlungu” which means “thank you white person.” I nearly fell over I was laughing so hard. It was priceless. Here they are…






No comments: