Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sizah!

This beautiful young woman really brings out the best in everyone at the Respite Unit. She is such an amazing woman with a heart of gold and a smile that can light up the room. I was taken to her house by her sister about 2 weeks ago. We arrived at a very small concrete room to find her barely able to move due to severe shingles covering her entire torso. Watching Sizah walk to the car was painful for all of us. You could see the fear in her eyes as she took each step and the anxiety about leaving her two children behind. I later came to find out that her students go to St. Leo’s Primary School (where my roommates teach!). This was wonderful news. I talked to her at length about getting her children to come see her and I could see it ease her fears.

My roommates and I arranged to visits for Vuyani and Asanda to come and see their Mom. As you can see from the pictures, they got their Mothers’ beautiful looks/smiles. The visits were great for Mom and children. This past Wednesday, May 27th, I brought Sizah home. Her CD4 count is still high enough for her to be at home and at work. When we drove into her yard, she was met by huge hugs and lots of screams of family and friends. It was a moving experience for her for sure. It was so reassuring for me to hear and see how much she is cared for. In a place where many HIV+ people are shunned or abandoned, this was an instance of hope, family and acceptance.



No comments: