Saturday, May 2, 2009

Nonduduzo and Andile...


Two of my patients have quickly won my heart. I went to pick them up when they were admitted to the Respite Unit a while back (see previous entry) and they have a special place in my heart. Nonduduzo has made amazing progress and we’ve gotten her back on her feet. She is in the process of beginning ARV’s and looks a million times better than when she first arrived.

Last week, Nonduduzo and I drove all over the place doing various errands and eventually going to pick up her childcare grant. When we got back to the Respite Unit, she and I sat down on her bed with the baby. She absolutely burst into tears and leaned into my arms. Once she calmed down, I asked her what was wrong?! She explained that her boyfriend had tested positive the day before and she was still awaiting the test results for Andile (4 months). She is understandably terrified about her future and has many unanswered questions. I tried to re-assure her that things are going to be ok and I told her I would be there with her every step of the way. The next day we took the baby and went out to ice cream to get her mind off of things and just have some time to relax.

***Since writing this, Nonduduzo and the baby have been discharged. She is still training for ARV’s. I am taking her this week to find out the babys’ test results. I also will be visiting her every now and then. I will keep you posted. Pray that he is negative!!!!

No comments: